The most common reasons why international assignments fail
- Studies* have shown that in more than 50% of all international assignments worldwide cultural differences represent a key challenge.
- If assignments end prematurely, the reason in 40% of all cases lies in the unhappiness/dissatisfaction of the accompanying spouse.
- Expats who have returned to their home country are three times more likely to leave their organization in the first year after their return than other employees.
- These findings can also be applied to experts and executives recruited abroad.
What can international staff and the organization do to make integration a success and beneficial for both parties?
The situation for international experts and executives can often be described as follows:
As an expat or international member of staff your whole life will change.
Everything is unfamiliar – your colleagues, the tasks, the processes, the working atmosphere. And also Germany is completely new to you. How are you feeling in your new job, how are you feeling in Germany?
You have left your familiar environment with family, friends, language, culture and climate behind to start a new life in a completely different world. That is thrilling, motivating and exciting, but at the same time also confusing, frustrating and unsettling.
I see myself as a culture guide for you and your family.
I will give you orientation in the professional and the private sector – before, during, and after your stay abroad.
Expat Coaching facilitates a positive start und a successful and rewarding time in Germany, and after your return a smooth restart in your home country.
Organizations are mostly faced with the following questions:
- What are your expectations as an organization when faced with the challenge of integrating an international member of staff?
- What are the expectations the international member of staff brings with him?
- How can you make sure that the integration of the mew member of staff runs smoothly?
What organizations can achieve with my coaching:
On the one hand, my coaching offer focuses on the requirements of your international employees who – just like their accompanying spouses – will settle down faster thanks to targeted individual assistance in the onboarding phase. This way, they will be able to apply their expertise in your organization much faster.
In addition, my coaching offer is addressed to your existing teams and workgroups that want to integrate international colleagues successfully.
Within the framework of a joint team coaching, existing and new employees will become aware of their own values and orientation systems.
In addition, everyone will learn about their colleagues’ values and orientation systems as well.
This will form the basis for developing common rules that facilitate harmonious and profitable collaboration in the long term.
I offer you:
- Expat Coaching for international members of staff
- Coaching for expat spouses
- Coaching for repatriates
*Price Waterhouse Coopers LLP: ‘International Assignments: European Policy and Practice 1999/2000’
Price Waterhouse Coopers LLP: ‘Measuring the value of international assignments’, 2006
GMAC Global Relocation Services: ‘Global Relocation Trends 2003/2004’